**disclaimer: I do not claim to be an expert I just want you all to get the most out of your Transition Year.
'Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.'
1. Get Involved - Get into the spirit of TY and sign up for anything that interests you and stick with it. Try something new, something out of your comfort zone. Isn't it better to have tried and failed than not to have tried at all? Do some sports, join the choir, there are plenty of after-school activities to keep you busy that won't cost a penny.
2. Be Prepared - Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. Okay that's a bit harsh but still make sure to get all of your work placements sorted early. It makes it more likely that you will be doing something you want to do and will get the best work experience. I managed to get a work placement in TV3, which I thoroughly enjoyed but I applied very early which I really think helped.
3. Participate - In class, in projects, in whatever TY throws at you. As some of you may know, I was heavily involved in our school musical, Calamity Jane, (played Calamity) and this was a fantastic extra-cirricular activity for me. It helped boost my confidence, improve my performance skills, and I met a lot of fantastic people because of it. Do something special this year, you'll be glad you did.
4. Don't Procrastinate - Do yourself a favour and do things as soon as they are assigned. Seriously. It's for your own good, I swear. Things get very messy when you leave them to last minute.
5. ENJOY IT! - I have fantastic memories from TY and I hope you will too. Make new friends, try new hobbies and enjoy learning new things.
I hope this has inspired you all to be active and participate, whether you're going into TY or not. Blog about your experiences while you're at it. ;)
I have a very exciting project coming up that I'm involved in.. Watch this space for more!!